Building your own Imperial Praetorian Gloves

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Building your own Imperial Praetorian Gloves

Post by Shikkakku »

Introduction:
One of our members here in Canadian Garrison built a pair of Imperial Praetorian gloves from scratch that subsequently were approved for use, and in the process of describing the process to a prospective Praetorian from the facebook build group, wrote up a very detailed how-to that I thought would be great to add here.

So all credit to Gerald, TK 96004 of Canadian Garrison. The how-to below is directly quoting him:

How-to:
Ok, Here is the method that I used to make the gloves. The gloves were from amazon - I used these ones as they were the most plain looking gauntlet style glove.

https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Leather-T ... 101&sr=8-8

I bought red outdoor vinyl and batting for the hand guard portion
(I got the vinyl from a local fabric and textiles shop, It is the stuff they use to cover boat seats I think)

First I made the hand guard by doubling the batting and making a piece a bit wider than the width of the glove from outer to inner seams to allow it to be sewn into the glove later.

Wrap the vinyl around the batting as shown above and cut the vinyl to the length that makes it a complete wrap around the batting.

Next, sew the lines in place - you will need a fairly heavy duty needle for the sewing machine as it will break if it isn't. there are 3 lines that willmake 3 quilted sections and one thin back section.

Once the handguards are made, you will need to open up the seams on the gloves to allow the handguards to be sewn into the seams as the CRL requires. Go slow with a seam splitting tool when you do this as you don't want to ruin the leather. Also make sure to keep track of what goes where when sewing it back together. While opening the seams, you also need to remove the buckle on the back of the glove. Also remember to remove the little ring on the outer seam.

The photos above show the before and after. Once the seams are open, you then position the front of the handguard where it will sit on the glove and sew it from the underside with the outer surface of the handguard flipped up to cover and face the top of the fingers. Once this seam is sewn, you flip the handguard into position on the back of the hand and this will create the front seam.

Second step is to sew in the back seam of the handguard . I did not cut the back of the glove , I just sewed the gaurd over top of it. When you sew the back seam, Sew it from the outer surface of the handguard side and follow the stitch line you already made in the handguard that is closest to the back. This will create the back seam and give the small raised lip at the back of the handguard .

Finally, you resew the side seams. This was the trickiest part because you essentially need to turn the glove inside out with the thick handguard getting in the way. Be patient and go slow as this can be frustrating. Make sure that the sides of the handguard get tucked into the seam so that when the glove is no longer inside out, they are incorporated into the seam.

As you sew the handguard seams in on both the front and the sides, trim away any excess that will essentially be inside of the glove so that it is comfortable to wear when finished.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025